The Masonic Higher Education Bursary is open to anyone to apply who resides in Alberta or the Northwest Territories. As Freemasons, we believe equality is paramount in our society, the Bursary Fund is a Registered Charity, and Federal Law requires that absolutely no special consideration can be given to anyone, and the Application and Interview forms do not seek information about Masonic connections, religion or race and gender.
The Base Qualifications for Applying for a Masonic Higher Education Bursary are:
1. Must be a Canadian citizen with home residence in the Province of Alberta or the Northwest Territories.
2. Honest and accurate completion of a current application form, to be submitted in duplicate, no later than February 1st. Late applications will be rejected.
3. High enough marks for acceptance into a program offering a Certificate, Diploma, or Degree of not less that two (2) years in length at any Technical Institution, College, or University within the Province of Alberta or the Northwest Territories. Such institutions outside of the Province of Alberta or the Northwest Territories will only be considered if the course being taken is not offered within the Province of Alberta or the Northwest Territories.
4. A demonstrated “need” for financial assistance in order to be able to obtain a “Higher Education”. The relative nature of such “need” is to be determined by the application of a computerized “points” system authorized by the Masonic Higher Education Bursary Committee, which could be amended from time to time.
5. A successful interview and confirmation of the family income by the presentation of Canada Revenue Agency’s Notice of Assessment(s) for the last year or a copy of the current years Income Tax and Benefit Return, specifically Line 236, Net Income to the interviewers.
1. First consideration shall be given to applicants applying to attend the first (1st) year of any program with a secondary consideration being given to applicants in second (2nd) and succeeding years.
2. A Bursary awarded in any one (1) year does not obligate the Committee to future consideration for subsequent awards.
3. Applications received with no verifiable “family income” listed will be assigned an amount equal to the average family income as published by the Province of Alberta each year.
4. Students meeting the requirements of the Committee for an award, but who will be attending only one (1) semester or a half (1⁄2) year, will receive one (1⁄2) half of the award authorized for the year.
5. Award cheques for the worthy recipients of the Masonic Higher Education Bursaries will be issued by The Grand Lodge of Alberta office when confirmation of acceptance from the Technical Institution, College, or University has been sent to The Grand Lodge office. Bursary cheques will be sent to the institution he or she is attending and will be credited to their account.
6. As interviews are required, rural applicants wishing to be interviewed at home must provide clear and correct rural addresses. A Post Office address will not provide sufficient information to locate an applicant’s home.
7. All information provided to the Committee and interviewers will be kept confidential and destroyed after one year.
8. All decisions by the Masonic Higher Education Bursary Committee will be considered final.
From time to time Masonic Districts or Lodges hold Masonic Higher Education Bursary award events. It is requested by the Committee that each recipient of a Bursary, if requested to attend, make every effort to be in attendance.
The Grand Lodge of Alberta holds its Annual Communication in June of each year, and it is customary that a selected student receive the Ross Sheppard Memorial Bursary award at the evening banquet. It is required for the successful recipient, on behalf of all the Bursary recipients, to respond with a two (2) to three (3) minute speech of appreciation. An honourarium is paid to the recipient for this event. This is also in conjunction with The Lauraine Douchet Masonic Bursary for Pharmacy and Medicine.
The Masonic Higher Education Bursary Committee, on behalf of The Grand Lodge of Alberta, wishes each and every student an enlightening and successful future in his or her field of endeavour.
Masonic Higher Education Bursary: PDF Form - Please print off, complete and forward in DUPLICATE to the Grand Lodge of Alberta offices.
The Lauraine Douchet Masonic Bursary for Pharmacy and Medicine: PDF Form - Please print off, complete and forward in DUPLICATE to the Grand Lodge of Alberta offices.